Monday, January 17, 2011

We Are Family

DIY Family Tree.

One of my favorite things to do growing up was go through old family photographs with my mother and grandmother. I loved to hear them reminisce about times and people that I know little about, but shaped who they became.

I went my husband's family photos with my Mother-in-law recently and realized how important it is for us to document our family trees. My family is relatively small, but I know that the names will fade from my memory over time. I can't even imagine how low I can hold my husband's massive Irish background in my brain...but it isn't long.

So when I saw some great family tree ideas from Martha Stewart, I thought they might be a fun and beautiful way to document our family histories. These are some of my favorites:

Diamond Tree
This graphic representation would look fabulous in a modern home. It makes the black and white photos look both fresh and nostalgic at the same time.



Fan Tree
This elegant organizational chart can tackle even the largest of families...and look good at the same time.



Birds of a Feather Tree
If you have kids, this is a great way to teach them about their extended family. It's pretty lovely too.



Research
And if you need a little help finding our about your family, this page has some great resources where you can turn.

No comments: