Saturday, January 22, 2011

Punch Revival

Drink Recipe.

I was recently at the Clover Club in Brooklyn eating brunch when something caught my eye, an entire section for adult punch on the menu. They offer two different types which are both brought to the table in a punch bowl meant to be shared between 4 to 6 people. It seems punch dates back to the early 1600s, long before the cocktail and literally translates to “five” for the original key ingredients: sugar, tea, lemon juice, spirits and spices.



I was intrigued but with the $50 price tag per bowl…I decided to be intrigued at home. Frankly, when I think of punch it doesn’t really conjure up cool scenarios, instead it makes me think of 70’s weddings, frat parties and church basements. However, I am all for the punch revival and making it hip. The fact that it can be made ahead of time and guests can serve themselves only makes it more attractive. Now I am in search of the perfect punch bowl and I will be taste testing recipes. I think I’ll start with this one.

Champagne Peach Punch

Ingredients
3 (11.5 ounce) cans peach nectar
1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup peach brandy
1/4 cup grenadine syrup
1 (32 fluid ounce) bottle carbonated water
3 (750 milliliter) bottles champagne

Directions
Chill all ingredients. In a large punch bowl combine peach nectar, concentrated orange juice, lemon juice, brandy and grenadine. Mix well and pour in the carbonated water and champagne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this...it's like the adult way of drinking fish bowls, just like college days.

artdecodiamonds said...

This punch will be served this summer.. it looks wonderful!