Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cleaning Checklist

DIY.

Ahh...this is my kitchen all clean. This is how it looks after I madly run with cleaning supplies and paper towels flying in all directions around 10 minutes before guests arrive.



Don't get me wrong. I keep my place pretty sparkly on a regular basis, but I always seem to miss something that drives me into a hasty cleaning fit when I know fresh eyes will be entering my place for a gathering.

That's why I'm going to resolve to employ this kitchen cleaning checklist from Real Simple in 2011. I'm hoping it will give me back those 10 minutes of peace before parties begin.

Cleaning To-Do List

Every Day
Wipe down the sink after doing the dishes or loading the dishwasher (30 seconds).
Wipe down the stove top (one minute).
Wipe down the counters (one minute).
Sweep, Swiffer, or vacuum the floor (two minutes).

Every Week
Mop the floor (five minutes).
Wipe the cabinets, backsplashes, and appliances (10 minutes).
Wash the dish rack (four minutes).
Wipe the switch plates and phone (one minute).
Wipe the inside of the garbage can (one minute).

Every Season
Empty and scrub down the inside of the refrigerator (30 minutes).
Empty and clean the insides of the utensil drawers (15 minutes).
Scrub down the cupboard exteriors (30 minutes).
Clean the stove-hood filter (10 minutes).
Perform "Shiny Sink 101" (below)

Shiny Sink 101
1. Fill sink to the rim with very hot water; add one cup regular bleach. Soak for one hour.
2. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
3. Scrub with Ajax, Bon Ami, or baking soda.
4. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
5. Shine with Windex or another glass-cleaning spray. Dry thoroughly.

2 comments:

Concrete Jungle said...

Looks gorgeous! Isn't it great how well a good design cleans up!

FrenchCook said...

I love you kitchen :)